FreeYourMind.UK - Legal Cookie Consent

To help monitor the performance of our website, we need to save small cookie files to your device.

Accept Data Use Decline Data Use

Cookie Notice | Privacy Notice.

Contact Book

CLICK TO BOOK HELP or call 0800 292 2126

Research: Hypnotherapy for IBS (Gonsalkorale, 2013)

Can hypnotherapy help with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)?

204 patients completed questionnaires that scored symptoms, quality of life, anxiety, and depression before, immediately after, and up to six years following hypnotherapy.

Patients were given twelve, hour long, weekly hypnotherapy sessions

71% of patients initially responded to the hypnotherapy.

81% of those maintained their improvement over time, while the other 19% claimed only a slight deterioration.

There were no significant differences in the symptom scores between IBS hypnotherapy patients assessed at 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5+ years following hypnotherapy treatment.

Quality of life and anxiety or depression scores were similarly still significantly improved but did show some deterioration.

Patients also reported a reduction in consultation rates and medication use following the completion of hypnotherapy.

View research source

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms include abdominal pain, distension, and altered bowel habit. There may also be associated extra-colonic symptoms, such as nausea, lethargy, and backache.

You may also be interested in 2010 hypnotherapy for IBS study by Valori.

Help for anxiety near me and trauma near me

FreeYourMind.UK has qualified IBS hypnotherapists available near you.

Would you like hypnotherapy to help with IBS?

Find out more

Our Primal Mind therapy works directly with the subconscious mind, to help change the instinctive way you thing, feel or behave.

We use an advanced range of recently discovered techniques, that are not even available on the NHS yet.

From anxiety to calm and confident.

Click to learn more.

Back to research index

Exeter Uni Logo Ulster Uni Logo BPS Logo Therapy Near Me Logo
National Hypnotherapy Society Logo Ulster Uni Logo NLP Logo Havening Logo BWRT Small Logo BWRT NET Logo
DBS Verified Logo ICO Logo PDS Logo RBG Logo provides hypnotherapy help for IBS online, in London and in Guildford (Surrey), using hypnotherapy, Havening, BWRT, EFT, EMDR+ and NLP.